People with diabetes have to take special care of their feet. You should have a comprehensive foot exam every year. This page shows some more things you can do to keep your feet healthy.
1. Wash your feet in warm water every day.
2. Dry your feet well, especially between the toes.
3. Keep the skin soft with a moisturizing lotion, but do not apply it between the toes.
4. Inspect your feet every day for cuts, bruises, blisters, or swelling. Tell your doctor right away if you find something wrong.
5. Ask your diabetes care team how you should care for your toenails.
6. Wear clean, soft socks that fit you
7. Keep your feet warm and dry. Always wear shoes that fit well.
8. Never walk barefoot indoors or outdoors
9. Examine your shoes every day for cracks, pebbles, nails, or anything that could hurt your feet.